The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens that Hurricane Matthew has passed through The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands, and the Embassy has resumed normal operations.
The authorized departure of family members of U.S. Embassy employees stationed in Nassau has been lifted. The Department of State has lifted the Travel Warning for New Providence Island (including Nassau and Paradise Island) and the rest of the Bahamas except for Grand Bahama Island and North Andros, where the Travel Warning remains in place. This is an update to the Travel Warning issued on October 1, 2016.
Conditions on Grand Bahama Island, including the city of Freeport, and the North Andros area, are distinct from the rest of the country. The power grids in these areas have not yet been fully restored and communications remain difficult due to limited landline and cellular coverage. Authorized departure of U.S. government employees stationed on Grand Bahama, as well as their family members, remain in place. Therefore, U.S. citizens should avoid non-essential travel to those areas until further notice.
There is no travel advisory for The Turks and Caicos Islands.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bahamas Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in The Bahamas, located at 42 Queen Street (across from the British Colonial Hilton Hotel), Nassau; telephone: 242-322-1181; after hours emergency telephone: 242-357-7004; ACS unit fax: 242-356-7174; e-mail: ACSNASSAU@state.gov ; web page: http://nassau.usembassy.gov. The Turks & Caicos Consular Agency is located at 2 Venture Ct., Grace Bay Suite 102E, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. The Consular Agent is LeShelle Tull-Thomas (649-232-5713, TullThomasLS@state.gov).
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.