November 2, 2011

Sweden’s Migration Board (“Migrationsverket”) recently announced that accompanying dependents must present copies of their civil birth and marriage certificates along with authenticated English or Swedish translations.

What’s Changed?

Prior to now, filing dependent residence permit applications on behalf of accompanying family members required only simple copies of the civil marriage for the spouse and birth certificates for the children.

Under the Migration Board’s new guidance, copies of each accompanying family member’s civil certificate not already in English or Swedish must be accompanied by an English or Swedish translation authenticated by the Apostille Convention or a Swedish consular post.


Assignees with family members should include additional processing time of at least one to two weeks for securing notarized English or Swedish translations from a certified translator in order to present to the appropriate authority to affix an Apostille or secure a legalization by the appropriate Swedish consular post.

This news alert was provided in coordination with our Swedish KGNM- Newcomer’s Relocation Sweden AB.

Caveat Lector | Warning to Reader 

This content is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or final guidance for any immigration matter. Readers are reminded that a country’s immigration laws and requirements may change with little to no advance public notice. Questions regarding specific immigration matters should be addressed to your Pro-Link GLOBAL specialist.