February 16, 2011
As noted in Pro-Link GLOBAL’s last GLOBAL Brief on Russia, the regulations around registration in the Russian Federation have recently changed, effective 15 February 2011. Since these changes may require your action, Pro-Link would like to remind our readers of the details again.
Highly Skilled Workers | Migration Registration Requirement Removed for Short Stays
For Highly Skilled Workers, there will no longer be a requirement to register on entry to Russia if the stay in Russia will be for less than 90 consecutive days – i.e. those Highly Skilled Workers who travel in and out of Russia frequently will not need to register at all.
In addition, Highly Skilled Workers travelling within Russia will not be required to register in different regions in the Russian Federation as long as each stay in the destination is less than 30 days.
All Foreign Nationals | Registration to be Done at Residential Address
For all foreign nationals (i.e. Highly Skilled Workers and standard work permit holders), address registration will now need to be done using the residential address of the foreign national – company addresses will no longer be acceptable.
Note that foreign nationals already in Russia and registered at a company address should not need to take action until they next re-enter Russia, at which time the new registration should be completed at the residential address.
How to Complete Registration at the Residental Address
Registration can be done either by submitting an application and relevant documents to the local Department of the Federal Migration Service (FMS) or via the post office, which will forward the application to the FMS. Pro-Link GLOBAL can assist, of course.
- If the lease agreement is signed between a foreign national and a landlord directly, the landlord is responsible for immigration registration and must either go to the FMS in person to register the foreign national, or provide a personally to register a foreign national, or issue a notarized Power of Attorney to allow Pro-Link GLOBAL’s KGNM correspondent office to handle this on his/her behalf.
- (NOTE: In exceptional circumstances (if the landlord is physically unable to provide the foreign national with the immigration registration) a foreign national is permitted to register personally.)
- If the lease agreement is signed between the Employer and the landlord, the landlord is responsible for immigration registration, but the employer can arrange the registration.
- If the foreign national is the owner of the property where s/he resides, s/he is responsible for immigration registration, and must either go personally to register, or issue a notarized Power of Attorney to allow Pro-Link GLOBAL’s KGNM correspondent office to handle this on his/her behalf.
All Foreign Nationals | De-Registration Simplified
Finally, also for all foreign nationals, there will no longer be a requirement to de-register: registration at a new location in Russia will automatically trigger de-registration from the old location, and departure from Russia will automatically trigger de-registration via a notification from the border authorities to the migration authorities.
ACTION ITEMS FOR EMPLOYERS
- Note that foreign nationals may no longer be registered at the company’s address
- If existing lease agreements are between the employees and the landlord, Pro-Link GLOBAL recommends that companies focus on arranging the Powers of Attorney from the landlords as soon as possible, as such matters can take some time. Contact us for a sample copy.
- Companies may wish to arrange that, going forward, lease agreements are signed between the company and the landlord, rather than the employee, to facilitate registration arrangements.
Caveat Lector | Warning to Reader
This is provided as informational only and does not substitute for actual legal advice based on the specific circumstances of a matter. Readers are reminded that Immigration laws are fluid and can change a moment’s notice without any warning. Please reach out to your local Pro-Link GLOBAL specialist should you require any additional clarification. Pro-Link GLOBAL worked with our PLG | KGNM Correspondent Office in Russia to provide this GLOBAL Brief to you.